Damien Cartereau Interview
Varilux Brand Manager
Essilor Translation Project
Essilor has been a Lexcelera customer for 25 years, since 1992. In April, we had the opportunity to interview Damien Cartereau, Brand Manager at Essilor.
Damien has a solid 7-year experience with Essilor International, and has been the Varilux Brand Manager for 2 years. Damien is in charge of analyzing not only the consumers’ behavior but also opticians’ behavior for the Mid-Tier segment.
- Which countries do you cover?
D.C. I cover the United States and some countries in Europe as well as emerging countries in Asia and Latin America.
- What are your challenges in understanding the needs of your customers and opticians in different countries?
D.C. There are many challenges. First, messages about innovation processes need to be simplified so that consumers understand them. Second, their needs have to be analyzed through demand studies. In order to do this, we carry out omnibus surveys and subsequently, we observe the cultural differences in the answers, which gives us our guiding principles.
“Lexcelera is reactive and meets the deadlines. In addition, the service is efficient and the costs are lower.”
- You have worked for many years in the so-called “dominant” and “emerging” markets. What are the markets Essilor sees as emerging?
D.C. Emerging countries are mainly China, Vietnam and India.
- For Essilor, what are the dominant markets?
D.C. France, Italy and Brazil are our dominant markets.
- We have seen studies that show that consumers are 6 times more likely to buy a product or service when they are addressed in their mother tongue. Have you measured the influence of translation on the international sales of Essilor?
D.C. To my knowledge, we have not measured the impact of translation. Everything has been translated into all languages. On the other hand, we know that when it comes to B2C, translating into the local language is a necessity for Essilor .
- How many languages do you personally speak?
D.C. I speak French, Portuguese, English and Spanish.
- What added value does Lexcelera bring to Essilor?
D.C. Lexcelera is reactive and meets the deadlines. In addition, the service is efficient and the costs are lower.